Saturday 23 April 2016

Skype session 20th April



On Wednesday the 20th April me and Nafisah Baba had a skype session with Adesola. Our dance director Jodie Blemings in Chrysalis London also joined us. It was very beneficial for me because we told Jodie what our inquiry is about and what our plans are for module 3. We all tried to figure out what the company can do to help our inquiry.
I realized how much it helps to just talk about your ideas and concerns with other people than you sitting at home thinking about it. With this degree there is a lot of stages to go through and there is a lot of different opinions on what is right and wrong. Therefore it really helps to talk to people, like your SIGs group or your adviser, and discuss the questions you’ve got. I get easily concerned if I’m doing the right thing or not and to just hear from someone else that you are working in the right direction makes a lot of difference than you being alone thinking about it.
Choreography is such an umbrella term, this is the result of the influence of so many techniques being influenced by culture, choreographers etc. And because of that I have decided, with help of Adesola and Jodie, to focus on the different techniques there is in contemporary dance. Chrysalis London is a contemporary company and in this company Jodie use a lot of different techniques when he teach out choreography. Me and Jodie decided that I will have 1 or 2 days where I can do a workshop with the company trying out the different techniques. This will help me find out who I am as a choreographer and also what technique I like the most. I will compare and analys from what other big contemporary choreographers have said about their techniques and see if I agree with them or not.
I’m so grateful to be in a company where they let you experiment to find out who you are as a dancer and also who you are as a choreographer.
So what I learnt from that skype call was that if you are stuck or a bit unsure of something than just talk to people and hear their opinions on it. Hopefully that will help you get on with your work without you feeling unsure. That works for me anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment